Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Need word for ';false family';. My history teacher said that the slaves were often seperated from their families?

when they were sold to other owners, etc in the United States. The slaves would become close to others on the plantations and call them names like ';brother';, ';aunt';, and other family names, even though they weren't really their blood relatives. Our professor gave us a word for ';false family';, but I can't rememver what it is. Does anyone know the word that I am looking for? Thank you!Need word for ';false family';. My history teacher said that the slaves were often seperated from their families?
I never realized there was a term for this phenomenon. Great question [a star for you!]





I wonder if this could be related the the modern usage of blacks for the term stay as the equivalent of live. Most non black say where do you live? or I live at...blacks say where do you stay or I stay at... [in my experience anyway]





Perhaps this is a remnant of the time when blacks, as slaves, had no control over where they lived or stayed.Need word for ';false family';. My history teacher said that the slaves were often seperated from their families?
'pseudo familia' ??

No comments:

Post a Comment